Picture
When I’m not blogging on Clean Wellness, I work as a food writer and healthy recipe developer. Something brand new I was able to do recently, was contribute a nutritionist’s opinion to a Prevention magazine article, written by Allison Young. If you’re looking for a few healthy and inventive nut butters you can make at home, you absolutely must check out her article and mouthwatering recipes!
Now, back to business.
Picture
Something I rarely purchase is potatoes. It's not that they’re nutritionally vacant, I’m just really not a big fan (unless they're sweet potatoes of course, which are curiously, not a potato at all). I have a thing for “cute” produce and noticed the most adorable baby potatoes at the grocery store last time I was there. So, I brought them home and have stared at them on the counter for the last week, wondering how I can make them into something I’ll actually enjoy eating.

Since no meal is complete without a handful of alkalinizing greens for me, I decided to make these adorable spuds into a supercharged spinach and potato salad. It’s bright, refreshing and not at all reminiscent of heavy winter potato dishes or the stodgy, ubiquitous, summer potluck salad. After all, Spring Equinox is tomorrow!
Picture
Potato Perks

The health benefits of potatoes have been known for quite some time. They’ve served as an inexpensive and valuable source of nutrition for eons. Potatoes contain potassium, vitamin B6, fibre, vitamin C and a variety of other health-promoting nutrients. They're also a great source of complex carbohydrates, giving you the energy you need to power through your day.

Spuds in Sports Nutrition

The boring spud has been revamped as the chic new vegetable to enhance sports performance. Most recently, potatoes are being used in vegan protein powders, with potato protein isolate. Potato protein isolate is rich in amino acids (the building blocks of protein), including an impressive amount of Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) for enhanced muscle recovery and building. Potato protein isolate is also highly bioavailable, low-allergen and unlikely to cause digestive distress.

These features, coupled with the potato’s rich vitamin B6 content (a vitamin necessary for the breakdown of glycogen (which is sugar, stored in muscle cells and the liver)), make potatoes a natural way to boost athletic performance and increase endurance.

Recipe Notes

Potatoes needn’t be boring or bland. If you’re looking for a lighter take on potato salad, give this dreamy green goddess side a try. The dressing is packed with good-for-you ingredients, like vitamin C-rich parsley, heart-healthy flaxseed oil, alkalinizing lemon, mineral-rich maple syrup and iron-packed pumpkin seeds. It’s creamy, rich and mayonnaise-free. I made mine in the Blendtec, but a mini food processor will work wonderfully as well.

Happy spring!
Picture
Picture
How are you celebrating the arrival of spring?

Comments

Auntie Marsha
03/19/2014 10:15pm

I grew up (and your Mom) with a "hot" meal almost every night. Meat and potatoes! Our Dad's worked hard in a factory all day so they needed it. I use to call potatoes (taders); I was embarrassed one time in school when I was asked,"What my favorite veg was"!! I celebrate spring with flowers and OPEN the windows. Fresh air! I'm going to Chicago next Wed.;taking Robyn homemade almond butter. I missed the opportunity to vote for your blog, sorry xo

03/21/2014 7:44am

Hey Auntie Marsha! hehe that's so cute! I love hearing stories of your childhood!

And please tell Robyn & Dan I say hi. My dad was in Chicago for business a couple weeks ago and told me their new place is gorgeous! He said they looked so happy :) I hope she enjoys the almond butter! I might be attending a conference this summer in Chicago actually. I really want to visit! xo

03/20/2014 9:59pm

I love your blog Allison! I hope you'll consider linking up to healthy vegan Fridays over on hello veggy!

03/21/2014 7:30am

Hey Suzanne. Thank you so much! I will definitely link up to healthy vegan fridays on your blog. That sounds awesome!

Genevieve
03/25/2014 2:38pm

WOW. Came here via Buzzfeed featuring your recipe- I was a little hesitant since I traditionally don't care for green goddess dressing, but the pic was so beautiful I had to see for myself. I'm so glad I did! This looks AMAZING, and the dressing is so intriguing, it sounds delicious. All the ingredients are officially on the shopping list now!

03/25/2014 4:03pm

Hey Genevieve! Thank you for your sweet comment. If you make it, I hope you love it! It's something a little different :)

03/25/2014 2:46pm

This sounds amazing! Thank you so much -- we have sooooo many spuds from our farm share that I just don't know what to do with them, but this should take care of quite a few. Thanks again!!!

03/25/2014 4:07pm

Hey Alison! I haven't done a farm share in a couple of years but I remember the huge amounts of potatoes I would get. And beets. Sooo many beets. hehe. If you give this salad a go, I hope you enjoy it!

03/26/2014 12:15pm

This salad looks delicious! I also have a thing for "cute" vegetables! The other day I bought a bunch of baby eggplant just because they were so cute. A man came up to me and asked me how I was going to prepare them and I told him that I was really just buying them because of how cute they were!

03/26/2014 12:24pm

Hey Isadora! hehe I think we're on the same page about cute veggies. I would be over-the-moon excited if I found baby eggplant. So cute! I can picture them now. Awww.

Kelley H
04/01/2014 9:34am

Looks delicious. My DBF is averse to all things including mayo so this might satisy my need for good potato salad in the summer and his for something without mayo. One question, do you think raw almonds instead of pumpkin seeds would adversely effect the flavor of the dressing. I ask because I always have almonds in the pantry but rarely pumpkin seeds.

Thanks for the lovely recipe.

04/01/2014 10:56am

Hi Kelley! Yes, I think almonds would definitely work. Any nut or seed that has a neutral taste should be fine. Almonds will make it nice and creamy without any mayo :)

04/06/2014 11:06pm

I have obtained a copy of your 'Decadent Green Tea Meltaways' and the recipe calls for "green tea with matcha'. In Perth WA I can find green tea, and I can find matcha, but cannot find them combined - as matcha is green tea anyway, will the recipe turn out ok if I just use matcha powder? I am very new to the 'raw' world, but I would really like to try these. Thank you for your time and help
Sincerely
Helen

04/07/2014 7:23am

Hi Helen! You can definitely use just matcha. In fact, you can use any type of tea you like! I've also made the recipe with earl grey tea (without the mint, and I added orange zest) and it turned out really well.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. Always happy to help :)

08/20/2014 1:59am

wow your post so amazing thanks.