We don't want stagnant toxins clogging up our bodies as this can lead to illness and infection. A clean lymph system boosts our immune, nervous and digestive systems.
Dry skin brushing is invigorating and calming first thing in the morning before you hop in the shower. It helps with “the glow” that people try to achieve and is said to reduce cellulite. It can also help slough off dry skin, which is especially helpful as the weather gets cooler.
Where Can I Buy a Dry Skin Brush?
You can purchase a dry skin brush at your local health food store. They're also widely available online or at most Whole Foods locations.
Dry Skin Brushing in 7 Steps
- Always brush your dry body before your shower or bath.
- Brush towards the heart. Begin with long sweeping strokes starting from the bottom of your feet upwards, and from the hands towards the shoulders, and on the torso in an upward direction help drain the lymph back to your heart.
- Use light pressure in areas where the skin is thin and harder pressure on places like the soles of the feet.
- Skin brushing should be performed once a day, preferably first thing in the morning. A thorough skin brushing takes about 10 minutes, but any time spent brushing prior to bathing will benefit the body. If you are feeling ill, increasing the treatments to twice a day is good. You can also dry brush areas of cellulite 5 to 10 minutes, twice a day, if desired.
- Avoid sensitive areas and anywhere the skin is broken such as areas of skin rash, wounds, cuts, and infections.
- Finish up with your regular shower and ending with two hot and cold cycles (turning on the water as hot as you can take it for several seconds, then as cold as you can handle it, then hot, then cold for two cycles). This will further invigorate the skin and stimulate blood circulation, bringing more blood to the outer layers of the skin.
- After getting out of the shower, dry off vigorously and massage your skin with coconut oil or other non-toxic moisturizer of choice.
Clean your skin brush using soap and water once a week. After rinsing, dry your skin brush in an open, sunny spot to prevent mildew.
Any well-designed program will take about 30 days to see and experience the changes. Please be patient and keep up the program! For a thorough lymphatic cleansing, perform skin brushing daily for a minimum of three months.
Would you consider dry skin brushing?